I see other people do it -
share their feelings and hurts;
on facebook for example,
just the other day,
I saw someone share her heart,
full of tears,
and receive strengthening feedback -
dozens of comments
to comfort her.
Could I ever do this?
I hide, especially when things aren't okay.
I fear being ignored, overlooked, and talked about.
I imagine posting something so heart wrenching,
laying it all out,
and then having no one respond.
Through the years,
friendships change,
life changes,
and it's okay.
But when there are people
who you would gladly set aside
time for - seconds, minutes, more -
that do not see you,
you wonder
if they choose to ignore,
or if they have better things to do,
and you are overlooked
or deleted,
traded in for something meaningless,
that looks so much more important;
and to protect yourself,
you have to separate yourself from your words,
essentially from your heart
& who you really are,
and you don't know if you can do it.
You don't know if you can pretend that
it's okay
when there isn't time
for what's inside,
and you're not encouraged
to open more.
Thank you dear friend, for reading this,
I'm am afraid to write things like this -
I don't feel bad for me,
I don't want anyone to feel bad for me;
Just want to express my feelings about things
more vulnerably -
and I know I could go deeper and further
and explain more,
but I am afraid;
why am I both afraid of being noticed,
and of no one noticing?
A little more explanation is in a comment.
Here is another thing - and I know not everyone has facebook, and sometimes I think about not using it, but I do too much on there at this point; anyway, I made a page for my blog, a while back, and haven't been able to make even 30 likes. I don't know why it's been so hard for me - one of my best friends from high school started a page for a product she made and within days she had over 40 likes; an artist who's work I saw locally started a new page for her art, and within days she had 70 likes. I have personally messaged friends and suggested my page to friends, and I have thanked friends for liking my page, expressing out there for all to see how much it means to me. When I see how friends have liked Starbucks and Amazon, and how they are up to date on celebrity gossip but can't "like" me and can't give two minutes for me, that's what hurts me; and that is sooo hard for me to say/share/express/admit; I want to act like "I don't care," but I DO.
ReplyDeleteHere are some comments from friends that I have received on Facebook after posting this via my page there:
ReplyDeleteJulie - "Write and share, friend. We'll be here reading ♥"
Me - "You'll be here reading, Julie - thank you for that; for being someone I can count on to "see" and to to take a few minutes to notice and encourage me, which strengthens me A LOT. I appreciate you!"
Mandy C. - "I tried to comment on your blog but it wouldn't let me. Your feelings are valid. I have used Facebook for years and then when Grace was born used it different. When I announced her birth and diagnosis of Down syndrome on it I remember laying in my hospital bed worried about reactions or if people would even pay attention. I was overwhelmed with positive replies congratulating me on her birth, and ignoring the Ds. This was step one in me realizing she was going to be accepted. Since then I have posted (ok over posted) about her accomplishments and cute pictures. I do this to raise awareness and acceptance. Every like or comment I get makes my heart grow and makes me feel like we are being supported and encouraged and that Grace IS accepted. It is funny how one click of a mouse can matter so much! Brianne "like"!"
Me: "It's true, Mandy - one click matters and can touch a heart! The strength we can provide each other through small things is immense. Thank you for your support, and for sharing your story!!"
Jen S. - "I read your blog and always love what you share with us. It never occurred to me to "like" it. I'm not sure why. If there was a "love" button I would choose it. You are a wonderful person...I don't think we, who read what you write, thought about how important it was to "like" it. For that, I am sorry."
Me: - "Thank you, Jen! It means a lot to me!! And no need to be sorry; I realize that people might not realize that there's an option to "like" the page - but there are people who I specifically did reach out to in my beginning stages who still haven't responded. I will hold onto the strengthening comments I've received today, thank you for yours - because oftentimes I need words like these to keep me going!"
Julie & Jen shared my blog as well, Jen writing, "This is my friend. She is a wonderful, beautiful person who shares amazing things with all of us on her blog. Take a few moments to read some of it. It is deep and thought provoking."
ReplyDeleteAnd Julie wrote: "An insightful and thought provoking blog from one of our moms...you should check it out :o)"
And Amanda D. emailed me, writing: "Thank you for being so brutally honest and vulnerable. It's hard to find people and friends who actually want to know who you are and what your about-- on all levels.
be encouraged there are true genuine people who want to dig deeper. :) "
Here is another one:
DeleteLiz J. - "I loved your honesty and vulnerability! So many of us feel that way and you expressed it very beautifully. :-)"
I didn't know how much I needed to collect these words of encouragement to strengthen me, and I know I will be coming back to read these comments when I need them desperately.
and they are still coming...
DeleteTara H. - "My Friend, I hope you know I care. I cherish our friendship! Your words are beautiful. I admire your honesty immensely."
Brianne,
ReplyDeleteI think all of us are "broken", and sometimes broken-hearted. But we've learned not to show it to others lest we get put down for not having it together. Some people are so busy collecting new friends they don't have time to write to the old ones. And some of us need others to reach out to us, but it just takes so much energy for us to carry out our part of friendships. Now that I've found out our thinking is quite a bit alike, maybe we'll both be able to reach out more often, and not wait for the other one to do it first. You are a beautiful woman, sensitive and mindful. I appreciate your blog. I don't do facebook, so I can't "like" you or "friend" you there. But I DO care!
Brianne,
ReplyDeleteI think a lot of people are "broken," even broken-hearted. We want to be "noticed," but only in a good way. We, being ourselves, can't compete with those super-energetic people who see how many they can "like" or "friend" but don't take the time and effort to cultivate the ongoing friendships. And then there are those of us who can't play the collecting friends game, and can't even find the energy to keep track of those we really wish to know.
You are a lovely person, with many talents and insights. I love reading your blog. I'm not on Facebook so I can't "like" or "friend" you. Usually I can't even make your blog comments "take". But I think I finally figured a way around that -- we'll see; this is take 2, the first one didn't get it!