The second film shown in the sequence of the Black Maria Film Festival that my sister & I attended was:
"Installation" - a 7-minute documentary about the installation of artist Richard Serra's "Sculpture Sequence" at Stanford University's Visual Arts Center.
Here is the trailer for it:
John Columbus, the Festival's Founder/Director, described one of his reasons for choosing this piece as being because of the way the installation of these huge, heavy steel constructed sculptures is compared to a ballet. While watching the documentary, I realized the importance of each movement and placement of these monstrosities. The steel constructions are well-made, and viewers get a glimpse of the intense and intricate work that goes into their creation. Our bridges and buildings, which we trust to hold our lives, are made like this. The artist has a vision for their placement that must be matched to the exact centimeter. In the statement Richard Serra makes through his humongous sculptural displays, it is clear that the minutia matters.
An article in The New Yorker, "Industrial Strength," is referenced, and this quote by writer Peter Schjeldahl is one that I think sums up the message of this documentary and of statements made through Richard Serra's work:
"It also recalls times when miracles of human invention were still spectacular, like the Brooklyn Bridge, rather than spectral, like the Internet."
Let's continue to fight in this day and age to recognize and to keep the wonder alive, yes?
Goals:
There are two sculptural parks that are within my ability to take day trips to, that feature works by Richard Serra, as well as many others. I have been to Storm King, but not for years now. Grounds for Sculpture I have not yet visited. My goal is to visit both of these with my family by the end of this summer. When I do, I will definitely take many pictures and dedicate a blog post to the experience of visiting each.
Update:
Remember how much I loved Anima Mundi, the first film shown at the Festival? And how I couldn't find it anywhere online to watch it again? Well, I contacted Kate Balsley, the filmmaker, told her how much I enjoyed and connected with this film, and asked if there was anywhere to watch it again or attain a DVD. She sent one to me! I am so grateful. And now I can show my loved ones what I'm talking about when kaleidoscopes and fractals fill my brain, now they can actually SEE and HEAR what I'm thinking. Thank you, Kate!
No comments:
Post a Comment