Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Black Maria Film Festval 1 - Anima Mundi

A local community college recently hosted a screening of films chosen to be included in the 31st annual Black Maria Film + Video Festival.  My sister and I went, not knowing what to expect.  The day before we went, I received an email from the college offering tickets for the event at 60% off, and I ordered them.  Our price was $4 each, but after attending, I know that in the future, paying even $20 for a ticket would be worth it.

On this evening, 10 films were chosen in a particular order by John Columbus, the Director/Founder of the Black Maria Film Fest.  By the way, the Fest is a program of the Edison Media Arts Consortium, honoring Thomas Edison's original idea.  The original Black Maria trailer still exists at the Thomas Edison National Historical Park.

i was here.

I'd like to collect here, over a course of weeks, the thoughts that emerged from the 10 films we were shown.  The way that these pieces where curated by John Columbus  added meaning, so I am going to post each one in the order it was shown.  Hearing from the Black Maria's Founder/Director was a special treat.  To have his insights shared, his reasoning into each film's placement, and the excitement that emanates from him about the independent film truly added to the whole experience of attending.

The first film shown was Anima Mundi, a 4 minute kaleidoscope montage of, as described in the festival's program guide, "vivid flower images.. compressed in multiple layers and butterflies in a crazy profusion of color and motion," and sounds too:  frogs croaking, insects humming, wind chimes ringing.  This short piece was awesome, and I cannot imagine the intricate detail and amount of time that must have gone into its creation.

As a collage artist who is secretly obsessed with kaleidoscopes and fractals, this was like a peek into my mind that I am unable to explain or describe.  Afterwards, my sister said it reminded her of my collages, and YES.  She totally got it.  It's obvious that I loved this Anima Mundi by Kate Balsley.  Here are a couple of pictures from the film that I found online, which I hope I'm not overstepping any boundaries by posting.




So, that's Part 1 of 10 for the Black Maria Film Festival I'll be posting, "Fueling the Independent Spirit Since 1980."

Update:  I contacted Kate Balsley to share how much I enjoyed this film of hers and to ask if there was anyway to view it again - online?  on a DVD I could purchase?  She generously sent me a DVD of this film, for which I am so grateful.  Now I can show my loved ones what it looks and sounds like in my head when fractalized kaleidoscope thoughts enter in and I enjoy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment