Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

Be Yourself


On the door of a bathroom stall at a favorite cafe,
there is this message, pictured above.

I had been trying on lots of labels for a while,
thinking that I needed to be this way or that way
in order to live rightly.

The Spirit intervened and has been redeeming:
redeeming me, and who I've always been,
redeeming who I need to be,
the real me
hidden beneath all the layers,
coming back to life again.


Again, I read the message, clearly
plain and simply stated,
on the wall of another bathroom
at a new favorite place
where my kids and I rollerskated
and they bounced on inflatables
and we all had fun, such fun.

And the vision is of me
and these layers being peeled off
of the masks I tried on for a while,
and underneath is me,
head tilted back
waterfall rushing over,
and I am at peace.


There is more writing on the wall
at this favorite cafe
a Dr. Seuss reminder:
"Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So...  get on your way!"

And I am utterly convinced
that I need to be myself,
and that you need to be yourself...

that every single person needs to be Who They Are,
and that we need each other to be unique
because there are things that only we can see
and experiences that only we can live,
and we need each other desperately
to bring forth into the world
what individual gifts
have been crafted into us only.

Be yourself -
you're the only you there is,
and I am the only me.


No comments:

Post a Comment