Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Trayvon Martin



Dear Mr. Langerlaan,

I'm the kind of person who has to think about issues fully and take time to look at things from all angles before I have something to say about them.  This process often takes a lot of time, especially when days are busy and there's not much time to think.  Therefore, I'm often able to voice something way after the fact, when others have already moved on to the next thing. 

I realized that's not the case, though, with what happened to Trayvon Martin.  A group in my area is hosting an event this week to discuss Trayvon's death and the issues surrounding it.  I just read about it in this weekend's paper.  I'm glad that this case is still being discussed because there are many implications and elements of change that what happened brings up.

In an article about a mural dedicated to Trayvon Martin that I read earlier this month of April, you, Mr. Langerlaan, called the mayor's office to complain, stating, "That type of art goes with gangs.  It's a hooded character with no face.  How am I supposed to interpret it?"  I wondered if anyone answered your question.  I feel compelled to. 

When I saw the article about this Elmwood Park mural, it caught my eye.  I thought the artwork was a beautiful representation of a message that others understood and supported the issues surrounding Trayvon Martin's case.  I realize the location of this mural might not be ideal.  Perhaps if it had been just over the border in Paterson, there would be no issues.  I know these areas well, and what is occurring here furthers the issue at hand: of racial profiling, racial discrimination, and prejudgments that cause untimely deaths.  It actually reminds me of the story of an elementary school classmate of mine who was shot by the cops as a teenager in Paterson.  His name was Lawrence, too.

There is a problem with not knowing how to interpret art, Mr. Langerlaan. Art is a passion of mine, and when I saw the "hooded character with no face" immediately I realized that this figure represented the meaning behind this case. Perhaps that was how Trayvon Martin was viewed:  "as a hooded character with no face."  Perhaps that was how his shooter viewed all who wore a hooded sweatshirt: as someone with no face. 

This is a problem, because underneath the hood, there is a face.  The face represents a person, an individual, more than a character, more than just a figure wearing a hood. People need to see that. They need to recognize that if they are viewing people as ones with no face, as ones who all look the same, who represent gang culture or whatever the case may be, they are wrong. They are seeing through jaded eyes. They are seeing through prejudices and judgments. They are seeing through the eyes of racism. They are not seeing differences. They are not seeing individuality. They are seeing a person with no face. How shall I interpret that? 

I hope I've helped with my interpretation, sir.  This is an opportunity for a community to band together in the realization that prejudices exist but we strive to overcome them.  It is sad that this wonderful mural has become a threat, when it is obvious that it was only meant to show love.

~Brianne

For videos about this mural click here 
For articles, click here 

6 comments:

  1. I love art, and what happened is so sad. I read one of the articals and wanted to highlight what one of the artist said, "snap judgments about graffiti art mirror false stereotyping of young men in hoodies." How true is this! As far as answering the question about how one should interpret this image with a hooded figure...I think it's art and it's people expressing how they feel about what happened and showing support for the victim. There is nothing wrong about wearing a hoodie, I'm always surprised about how closed minded people are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for noticing and sharing that quote from one of the artists, Fawn. I value what you've shared in your comment. I am always surprised by close mindedness too. I just don't understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a good interpretation of the hooded character and the intent of the artist, Brianne, but I don't think you are actually addressing Mr. Langerlaan's concerns. Consider interpreting Mr. Langerlaan's own expression as you interpret art.

    "That type of art goes with gangs."

    Does that type of art correlate with gangs? If so, why bring gang associations into Mr. Langerlaan's neighborhood? Why honor a boy who was not involved in a gang with gang-style art?

    "It's a hooded character with no face."

    Hooded sweatshirts are disproportionately represented in crimes because they are intended to hide the perpetrators face. That facelessness which you describe is notably the choice of the wearer, not the viewer.

    "How am I supposed to interpret it?"

    What if Mr. Langerlaan's question was rhetorical in context? What if he knows how the mural is supposed to be interpreted and he is commenting that it is distorted and harmful?

    Consider this: What will be the effect of elevating and normalizing gang or criminal associations? i.e. When graffiti is not a distinct sign of gang activity. When hiding your face in public is normal. Would that make you safer?

    Would it be a better world if there were no statistical correlations between crime and appearance or other behavior? If there were no prejudice and we treated each person as they are at that moment? Does it make you morally superior to ignore warning signs?

    You lament the harm at the edges of prejudice, but you ignore its heart and purpose.

    "How shall I interpret that?"

    Like you, I wondered if anyone answered your question, and I felt compelled to. I hope it is taken with the love it is given.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this comment. You've given me much to think about and that is the fullness of the reasons why I write a post like this. I want to hear other opinions, I want to view the issue and my response from all angels. I want to get better at responding with completeness to issues that stir up much within me, such as this one. I need much more time to contemplate what you've written here, but I want to make sure to let you knwo how much I appreciate all you've shared and given me to think about. When I am able to, I will respond much more fully, whether it be through another comment or a subsequent blog post.

      Delete
    2. I appreciate your thoughtfulness and kindness, Brianne, and I'll look forward to our future discussions. :-)

      Delete
  4. I hope that people truly learn and grow from this tragedy.

    ReplyDelete