There's this song that kept playing in my head over the past couple of weeks. I realized it's on Air: Late Night Tales
The version below is my favorite:
"Losing the star without a sky... Losing the reasons why...
You're losing the calling that you've been faking...
... Sew your fortunes on a string... And hold them up to light... Blue smoke will take...
A very violent flight... And you will be changed...
A very violent flight... And you will be changed...
... I once was lost but now I'm found, was blind...
But now I see you...
Metal heart you're not hiding
Metal heart you're not worth a thing...."
Sometimes, you need that outside perspective in order to truly see. Do you know this song, Metal Heart by Cat Power? What meaning does it hold for you? Or if you've listened to it just now, what are your first impressions?
It's one of those songs that's nostalgiac for me, and there's meaning in it for me to uncover and grasp. I'm searching for it. The symbolic metal heart - as I shed the old for the new in this freedom pursuit, perhaps there is some of that in me that needs to go, to melt, to be formed into something else. The words from "Amazing Grace" used in the song, "I once was lost but now I'm found; was blind but now I see you..." echo as memories of all the times that song has been present in my life present themselves.
And you know what I say? I say hey, what's going on? And I smile, because this song has presented itself recently and wants its presence to be here.
(32 years) "... I'm and my life is still trying to get up that great big hill of hope, for a destination..."
Happy linking up with Clytie for Guest Heart Thursday, where we share the hearts we find in our worlds.
This beautiful metal heart resonated deeply within me, as did the lyrics to the song. Unfortunately I couldn't listen to it, since I have no speakers on my computer ... and my headphones are broken. Sigh.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Is that you? You're beautiful!!!
Thank you so much, Clytie - yes, it's me. I'm grateful that metal heart resonates deeply with you, too.
Delete