When I led a workshop on Creative Journaling recently at Women's Wellness Weekend, one of the exercises we did was to "Fingerpaint with Words", an idea from the Gypsy Mama. I passed out an envelope filled with words and each person chose one at random. We timed ourselves five minutes to write about whatever came to mind based on that word, then read what we wrote out loud.
Here's what I came up with; my word was "strong":
to be strong, i need resilience and reinforcement like the wire word sculptures i make, i need to be wrapped in copper & brass because even steel can lose its strength...
to hold my form, i need reinforcement - others surrounding me who will encourage me deep, hold me up with support, and pray for me. to be strong i need to keep firm, be determined, and courageous.
tough to the point where i can withstand hardship, but not so tough that i cannot feel anything...
for there is power in tenderness and strength in realizing i am vulnerable
~Brianne
Dear Brianne,
ReplyDeleteI've just had the most amazing time catching up on your blog here, and I want to say..."YAH!" I love that you purchased a writing desk because you are a writer, and I love that you are strong and brave. You inspire me, friend! I wrote a post many months ago called "Brave Girl" and so many of yours remind me of that. I have been writing since I was a little girl, but it has only been recently that I would open my mouth to utter that I am a writer. It just feels good to be authentic, yes? And I hope you don't find this condescending, because really, what you are doing lifts me higher, but I am so very proud of you! Please continue on into the breach!
With love, friend,
Bernadette
Condescending? No - not at all, Bernadette! Strengthening, affirming? YES! Thank you! Love how on the same wavelength we are, and will look forward to reading "Brave Girl" - be on the lookout for my comments at your place later today!
DeleteFeels great to be authentic, for sure.