Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

Louise Nevelson - Atmosphere & Environment


One of Louise Nevelson's sculptures, Atmosphere & Environment XII, stands outside of the Philadelphia Museum of Art.  With our three little ones it was easier not to go inside the art museum at this time, and awesome to have the opportunity to experience this sculpture and other sculptures outside on the property, which we could view for free.

After seeing Louise Nevelson's Bicentennial Dawn in person just a day before, I knew this viewing would be another interactive experience, in which we became part of the art.  I knew to look and see with the perspective that art changes and that statements are made not only by the art but by how the art is seen, how it changes over the years, and its placement in the world.

It's significant that Nevelson named this sculpture "Atmosphere & Environment".  And this one is number seven in her series of sculptures with the same name.  I'd be interested in doing further study of where the others are placed, what their atmospheres & environments are like.  What statements do they all make individually and as a whole?


This one here is set with the current picture in the background.  The museum is adding an addition; the environment is changing.  The environment is always changing.  Nothing stays the same.  Our perspective always needs to change.

Just as she did in Bicentennial Dawn, Nevelson sculpts new ways to see in the form of her structure.  She did this for herself as she was living and creating.  She leaves this legacy for us who view and experience her large body of work, in the placement of her pieces across the globe.


We are part of the art, we see ourselves through it as we see the world through it.  We see the whole compilation of the background and foreground as a complete composition.

The art itself changes, it rusts over time because of the material its made from, caused by changes in its atmosphere and environment.  The same happens to us as people, we are always changing.


Through Atmosphere & Environment XII the sculpture Social Consciousness by Jacob Epstein is visible.  The statements this placement makes could be further investigated too.

For now, I leave you with this food for thought.  I have been changed by viewing the sculptures in person, and will continue to seek out experiences where I can see Louise Nevelson's art in person because her work speaks multitudes to me.

Find here a list of her public artworks collection, and here another list of where her work is shown internationally. Is there anywhere near you where you can view Nevelson's work in person? If you go, will you share your photos and thoughts on your experience with me?

2 comments:

  1. Nice post Brianne! love the photos of the sculpture... looks like there are a bunch of Nevelsons around in NYC, will have to do some exploring. & whenever you/we get up to Storm King next I am sure you will have a whole series of posts to follow <:o)
    (~yr sis~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ta! I think this is your first official comment here, yay! I look forward to getting up to Storm King and other places where Louise Nevelson's sculptures are too! I still have the pics from the Locks Gallery waiting in the queue.

      Delete