Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Burma

Burma was introduced to me through a book I read by Amy Tan, Saving Fish From Drowning.



I loved this book.  Set in Burma, it was my first exposure to anything about this place, its people and culture.  Although fictional, I could imagine bits and pieces of reality strewn among the author's created elements.  I wanted to meet the Burmese people this book introduced me to.  I wanted to give them hugs.

My fascination for Burma has grown since then.  I heard mention of the country on a teaching CD I was listening to, years after reading Amy Tan's book.  The woman speaking was extremely emotional as she spoke about Burma.  The plight of the country's people has been full of struggle as opposing forces are at war, and oppression crushes freedom.

By following up on the work of an organization she mentioned, I found the book Displaced Reflections, and the work of Partners Relief & Development.   I try to keep up with what's going on in Burma through this organization's emails and website, when I can, and I am learning about the true struggle for freedom that exists in this world on many levels.

That's why I have to write about Burma here.  That's why I admire Aung San Suu Kyi.  She is a true freedom fighter from whom there is much to learn. 

This here is just a tidbit, part of my collection, something to refer back to, as I continue to learn and search and research, throughout my year of freedom.



From Amy Tan's Saving Fish From Drowning:
A pious man explained to his followers: "It is evil to take lives and noble to save them. Each day I pledge to save a hundred lives. I drop my net in the lake and scoop out a hundred fishes. I place the fishes on the bank, where they flop and twirl. 'Don't be scared,' I tell those fishes. 'I am saving you from drowning.' Soon enough, the fishes grow calm and lie still. Yet, sad to say, I am always too late. The fishes expire. And because it is evil to waste anything, I take those dead fishes to market and I sell them for a good price. With the money I receive, I buy more nets so I can save more fishes."

No comments:

Post a Comment