Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

Women's Wellness Weekend

Giving thanks today for this weekend... 

I attended Women's Wellness Weekend with thirty wonderful women.  This is an experience that has changed and grown me in the course of about two days.  There was such depth to this experience and the conversations and workshops.  I'm already marking my calendar to attend again next year!


Camp Speers Eljabar hosted Women's Wellness Weekend, and this is the event's third year.  Above is a picture of the amphitheater, where there was a campfire with S'mores on Saturday evening after dinner.  After playing percussion instruments that fun-loving staff member KC brought, Julie, who coordinated the whole Wellness Weekend, brought us together to share the desires that led us to take the time to get away for this retreat. 

We could all relate to what others were saying.  There was much agreement among the laughter and tears of commonality.  We wanted to release our inner child; we wanted to come out and play.  Life gets too serious and we needed a break.  We needed wellness, we had not been well.  We needed some time away from the stress of everyday, whether we worked full-time or stayed home with our children, or anything in-between and beyond.  We wanted personal growth, we wanted to get out of the ruts we'd been stuck in.  We wanted to share our stories, connect with other women, experience healing and bring healing to others.  We wanted to reconnect with ourselves.


There was such beauty shown through each individual woman and collectively as a group there was such warmth and connection.  It was easy to go up to anybody, share stories, and discover common lifestyles and interests.  We didn't have to cook for ourselves.  The kitchen staff made us delicious meals and there was coffee and tea to warm us up all day. 


I'm not going to name everybody so that I don't forget anybody but I'll name those who presented workshops at the retreat and will share the link to more about them, if I have it.

Meredith is a registered yoga teacher who is launched her business in Lifestyle Design Coaching - she spoke about Lifestyle Design and led a yoga class which focused on spring cleaning, detoxifying our bodies.

Emily traveled all the way from Georgia, which I am so glad that she did, to teach and inspire us to love ourselves, follow our dreams, and truly live the best life possible.  She led two workshops - Stress Management, in which she shared the importance of play, and Love Talks, in which we were encouraged that when we love ourselves first, we then have love to share with others. 

Muni who traveled all the way from Baltimore, MD to lead two high-energy, super-fun Zumba classes, and share her fun-loving personality with all of us.  It was my first Zumba class ever and I loved it. 

Kim is a professional Wellness Coach, Reiki Master, and degreed Exercise Physiologist.  She gave a talk about Hormone Imbalance, which included thyroid function information, and led a Wellness Circle.  Kim's passion is to share all she has learned from her own experience paired with twenty years of experience, and bring healing and wellness to women who desire such a standard for their lives.

Carol shared her talk, Exploring Your Inner Creative World, which explained that everyone has creative abilities, and those abilities can bring healing to our lives, maintain wellness, and stimulate innovation and invention in all spheres of our lives.

Francoise who led a relaxation, encouraging each of us to actively Uncomplicate Your Life.

Lisa, professional M.D., spoke about Lyme disease, which is all too prevalent in this county, where she has opened her own practice and offers dynamic services to the local community.

Me, last but not least - I led two workshops, both on Creative Journaling.  The first one offered ideas on all the types of journals that can be kept and contained a few writing exercises for participants.  The second was about blogging as a creative tool for online journaling, and much info was shared.

I also want to mention Eileen, who brought a group of women from a wellness group she leads in NYC, because she also has a blog and shares all about health and healing.



I'm reflecting back on this weekend as it's fresh in my mind, as I sit here on my comfy green couch early this morning with my coffee next to me and my computer on my lap, listening to the birds chirp outside as the wind blows through the trees and an airplane soars through the sky.  I know I'll be returning to this post time and time again to remember what an amazing time I had, all the wonderful new friends I made, and jog my memory about all the important truths I learned to motivate me to remain on the right path toward healing, health and wellness throughout my busy days.



I look forward to taking my family back to the camp for its activities - the staff are all terrific, friendly people, and there is much offered.  Other activities that we could participate in during this weekend were:  climbing tower, rock wall, confidence course (ropes), high ropes and zipline, nature trail walks (we did one at night!), arts & crafts (make a candle, tie-dye, scrapboooks), archery, mountain biking in the morning...  and, oh!  I shot a pink BB gun!  Massages were also offered.  The cabins we stayed in were big, nice, warm, clean.


Many other friends were made and I look forward to seeing them again - some I know I'll run into out and about, here and there; others I look forward to seeing next year. We are all connected in various ways, and our paths are sure to cross again.  The first activity we did on Friday night was led by Julie - there was a ball of yarn that was thrown across the circle to someone who had the same thing in common with you as what you said, for example:  "I have three children", "I love to write", "I love dark chocolate", "I grew up in NJ"....  By the time we were finished, we had a huge web of connectivity.  If we kept going, Julie explained that it would be so strong that we could bounce balls off of the support we created.  That is the support we created between each other this weekend. At the end of the activity we cut off a piece of the yellow yarn to tie on each other's wrists.  That's what I have around mine in the picture above.


I return home after my ten minute drive, to my wonderful husband and three adorable kiddos, full of strength and encouragment, exhausted and content.  We snuggle on the couch for a while.

My batteries are certainly recharged and I am so grateful, for I know I'm on the right path towards healing in my life, and that vibrant, optimum health that we all deserve and desire.  And I thank God for hearing and answering my prayers, and providing just what I needed.

Sharing with the following online communities:

On In Around button



4 comments:

  1. Oh Brianne, Your words (as usual) make my shoulders and neck relax a bit. It sounds like your weekend was wonderful, I must attend next time. Glad to see all is well with you and yours. AHHHHHHH, Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I'm glad that feeling of relaxation transferred through because that whole weekend made my shoulders and neck relax a bit! Yes you MUST attend next year....

      Delete
  2. This sounds (and looks!) amazing. Isn't it the best to have sisters like these to journey with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, Laura. I can't wait to do this again!

      Delete