Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Wire Sculptures

I just added a new page on my site for the wire soul word sculptures I've been making for friends and family.  It's called "Wire Soul Words," and you can view it by clicking here.

It all began with the urge to sculpt "freedom" out of wire.


I bought steel, copper and brass.  As I sat on my couch at the end of the day just last week, I caught some interesting info shared on the opening of the new show "Touch."  It was about the huge cable wires under the ocean that allow for communication across the seas, which are made of wrapped steel and copper wire.  My ears perked up at this, and as the narration went on about how those cables were able to transmit signals across miles of distance, my eyes widened with interest.  The innate human need for communication was explained, and the use of current technology as a means to send signals and wait for responses was displayed.  I understand this.



After I'd sculpted my "freedom" and wrote about it, sharing pictures on a blog post, my close friend kept thinking of what her soul word would be and about how I'd sculpted mine. She said she'd have to choose "resilience". So I made her word for her and wrote a poem about it.

She shared with me her vision of a collage with photos of wire soul words and the snapshot of where their recipients placed them. I began to make this wonderful vision a reality by asking friends and family to participate by choosing a word, and have shared it here as a page on my blog. It will continue to be added to as I finish the ones I'm working on and their owners snap photos of their placement.


The act of this wire sculpting and wrapping brings peace to me.  It is pure enjoyment to make these creations for loved ones who will find such meaning in the words they've chosen, as they view them and meditate on them in the special place they place them.  Recently I shared this idea for my niece to do with her book club, as her mama (one of my sisters) was seeking a project to go along with the book "The Bronze Bow."  She said the girls loved doing the wire sculpting and took off with it as she gave them the materials to use.

I was inspired to create my own bow and arrow, which you can see below, and will be placed on my writing desk.

If any friends are interested in a wire sculpture of their own, please feel free to contact me.  I'd be more than happy to make something for you, with love.






Linking up, because community is fun:










and
 then, she {snapped}

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea and I just happen to have some wire in my stash. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done this too - very soothing! What a great idea to do a bronze bow / arrow to go with reading the book!

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how the love in your heart comes out in the work of your hands. Your caring nature shines through beautifully in these words.
    Have you ever visited the site Oneword365.com? I love how they encourage being intentional about a single word for the year.
    Like many bloggers, I came to mine this year through prayer, and it has been an interesting journey already! I definitely urge you to visit the OneWord site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete