Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

The Infinitesimal, Part 4

Once upon a time, when I was in my first year of college at Long Island University's C.W. Post campus as an Art Therapy major, I took a Photography class.  A project was assigned in which our feat was to create a book of some sort.  It didn't even have to include photography. 

This is what I created:










The book is covered by a large, hand-woven "friendship bracelet"; large in the world of friendship bracelets, but small enough to fit in the palm of my hand.  The pages are mixed-media collage illustrations to a poem I wrote called "Daydream Visions." 

My photography professor made a profound comment about this little piece of work while she observed it.  She liked the size of it, said it was so small that you have to really get up close to see it.  Fifteen years have gone by since then, and her insight has remained with me.  Because it describes me completely, and my life work is encompassed within her statement.  The small, the infinitesimal, the tiny.  The dots are connecting, it's come full circle, and now to stream. 


Sharing this link with these wonderful communities:

8 comments:

  1. Wow, that is something else...I wonder what I can dig up that is that's special...

    Visiting from createwjoy, latest Thursday Two Questions post on Donors Choose to Donate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting and commenting with such nice words for me...

      Delete
  2. OK, that is amazing. When I realized how small it was I was amazed! So much detail! I would love to know the poem that was in it! It is so beautiful. I love to experiment with sizes and creative
    artsy (in my eyes) endeavors! It is true therapy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you! Yes, art is true therapy. I will email you the poem. Thanks for wanting to know it!

      Delete
  3. I love it. Reminds me of a photo project I did of a poem I wrote for a beginning film class. All I had was a small photo book but in the end I loved the smaller size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome book! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Friendship Friday at Create With Joy. Hope to see you again this week!

    Create With Joy
    http://create-with-joy.com

    ReplyDelete