I have this desperate need for Jesus.
Is anyone else feeling it?
I've tried to do this (life) on my own, and can't do it (well).
Relying on my own strength and ability means drowning in the depth of overwhelming emotions. Over and over again I have tried to lift myself up from sinking, to no avail.
I've reached up here and there, but like Peter I have feared and doubted, causing me to go back under.
Jesus stood before Peter, ON the water, urging him to come towards Him. I picture Peter staring straight at Jesus, right into His eyes, as he walked on the water. I imagine him thinking "am I really doing this?", then looking around at what surrounded him - wind & waves - and allowing doubt to come in and drag him down.
How often do we do this in our lives? I know how often I have done so in mine. Every time I take my eyes off Jesus and look at the circumstances of reality, I sink. My faith is small, but if I give it to Him, He multiplies what little I have and moves mountains with it. He can feed multitudes with it.
I can't, but He can.
I must give credit where it is due. All the glory goes to God in my case. That is my testimony,
which is full of many stories.
For now, I will continue to keep my eyes fixed on Him, the words of my favorite hymn playing in my mind, "Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth with turn strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace." I will reach for His outstretched hand and walk on the water.
What does the water represent in my life?
It represents doubt, uncertainty, fear, depression, regret, anger - emotions that drag me down, seeking to drown me.
What does it mean to walk on these waters?
It means to trust in the opposite of each and every one of those negative emotions. It means to follow Jesus, embracing the faith, belief, courage, joy, grace, mercy, and peace that He gives. When I remain fixed on Him, I am able to rise above and receive these good and perfect gifts.
What are the waters in your life?
How will you rise above, and walk ON them?
Will you reach out your hand for Jesus,
keeping your eyes fixed on Him?

No comments:
Post a Comment