Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

I am From: Working


I am from busing and waiting on brown tables, from wiping down orange booths; from white, collared button-down shirts, stained and smelling like tomato sauce and pizza grease.  Yes, I am from Tony’s Brothers, intermittently for eight years; from Fran, and Lou, and Betty, from Lalo and Steve and Pete.

I am from filing papers at Relay Specialties, from looking over cubicles as I stood on a stool, from overhearing conversations, and from walking down “the path” to get there from high school.
I am from the homes of families, needing someone to watch their kids; from the moms who adopted, and the double-shift workers; the woman who beat cancer going on dates with her husband; from Vermont's beautiful, organic Claybrook Farm and the Bergen County mansion.
I am from Dairy Queen, concocting blizzards, topping sundaes and piling hot dogs with the works; from camp counseling, which I hated, and quit before I burst.

And I am from trying to sell Cutco, for two months, to no one but friends & family; I am from reading scripted messages, and from gaining cutlery. 
I am from a temp agency that sent me on a mission to select seating for and mail out Phish tickets; from placing the sparkly rectangular paper gems into envelopes, and mailing them out from a secret location.
I am from the Onion River Co-op, ringing up orders from the friendliest customers; from Hawaiian Biker Dude ginger and fresh samosas; from subtracting the tar and bagging the goods.
I am from YMCA daycare, caring for adorable toddler-sized babies for ½ the day.  I’m from riding my bike across Burlington to Hilltop Light; from working on administrative tasks for my church family.
I am from the Salvation Army, coordinating programs for the youth of Paterson.  From driving the big van down the streets of my youthful memories, and from gluing construction paper fruits.  I’m from driving back & forth to Camp Tecumseh, and from what I learned at the ARTS Evangelism Congress; from filling bags food pantry for the needy, and from singing Songbook hymns.
I am from LTN at LLS, from raising funds to find a cure for blood cancers, from a walk in which lights in balloons filled the darkness of night.  From working in a shared position, from stories of triumph & devastation; that's life.
All these pieces of my life, from where I’ve spent my time for gainful employment; they’ve enriched me with experience and stories; they’ve provided lasting memories in my mind.

Now I am from being home with our three children, husband working (more than) full-time.  I am from days that are fuller than ever; I am from enjoying my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment